If you enjoyed our Chef Series, we’ve put together a recipe book for you to download, share and enjoy!
View the Cookbook
Chef Keoni Chang is Foodland’s talented Corporate Chef, and in this video, he’ll show us how to prepare seared ʻahi at home! This ʻono (delicious) dish is paired with sizzled ginger and scallions and is quick and simple to recreate.
Seared ʻAhi Recipe
- 4 + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, grapeseed or peanut oil (preferred)
- 3 pieces ahi (tuna) filet (approximately 5 ounces each)
- As needed salt
- As needed black pepper, fresh cracked
- ¼ cup scallions (green onions) finely sliced
- ¼ cup ginger, fresh peeled and finely minced
- Dash of shoyu (soy sauce)
- Dash of mirin (optional)
- Heat a 9-inch non-stick pan to medium high.
- Add in 4 tablespoons oil.
- Season the ahi filet with salt and pepper.
- When the oil lightly smoked, gently lay in the ahi.
- Fry on one side for approximately 2 minutes.
- Turnover and fry for 1 minute.
- Remove the ahi to a clean serving plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and bring to smoking point.
- Add in the ginger and scallions and quickly flash fry.
- Pour over the ahi.
- Drizzle with shoyu and mirin.
- Garnish with extra green onions.