If you enjoyed our Chef Series, we’ve put together a recipe book for you to download, share and enjoy!
View the Cookbook
Chef Mark "Gooch" Noguchi is also one of our Featured Chefs and co-founder + Executive Chef of The Pili Group. In this video, Gooch teaches us how to create his family-friendly recipe for butter mochi. Known as a classic Hawai‘i treat, it's soft, sweet and chewy with a delicious buttery flavor. All you need to do is mix and bake!
Butter Mochi Recipe
- 1 stick 4oz unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 1 lb. mochiko sweet rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 can (15oz) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment mix mochiko, baking powder and sugar together.
- Pour in the melted butter and blend until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the vanilla into the whole milk and pour into the mixture.
- Add the eggs one by one and then mix in the coconut milk.
- Pour into a greased cake pan, cover with foil and bake for 1 hr. Check at the 45 minute mark by inserting a cake tester, the tester should come out moist but with no raw clumps of batter attached.
- Let cool, preferably overnight, butter mochi is best after resting.